Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Doubling Riders



Doublings & Silences Vol. II 1988

This recording, released by Auf Dem Nil / Recommended Records Italia [dmm0006], is one of my all-time favourites. Inspired by the paintings of surrealist Gustavo Foppiani [1925—1986], it is presented as a series of tableaux. Beautifully structured using computers, samplers and woodwind instruments, it floats between electronic, medieval, industrial, ambient and gothic in a seamless and thoroughly cohesive progression. At times there is a foreboding darkness that is quite attractive, yet the music never degenerates too far into chaos. The bizarre vocals are sung in English with a thick and sometimes indecipherable Italian accent, which adds to the surreal mood. The double LP was presented as a boxed set complete with four page booklet including Italian translations of the English lyrics (!) and an art print of the front cover painting. I've included high resolution scans of all these because they compliment the music so well...

"minuets & music pearls of rare intensity,
decadent & beautiful, great Italian music"
— Old Europe Cafe

I wish I new more about these artists. I have never seen or heard Volume One. There are a few intriguing references to other Doubling Riders recordings on the net but I can find no real information, and nothing seems to be currently available. If anyone can provide more information please do!

tracklist
01 Venice calles
02 Funeral jars
03 Little Penguins in Love
04 Hoping That You Are Somewhere
05 Industrial lullaby
06 Childhood fears (old version)
07 Wandering high
08 Artery of the sun
09 Lines on Spain
10 Chinese comedy
11 Childhood fears (young version)
12 Azur noise
13 La partienze
14 Confidential eggs
15 A poetry of broken hearts
16 Vox populi
17 The larceny of the harpstrings
18 The last picture
19 The danger of losing consistence
20 Nanenfest
21 Pyramid

PartA PartB [192kps]

10 Comments:

Blogger Curved Air said...

man-o-man this is a doozy! can't wait to spend some more time with it.

thx benito!

/ca

Thu Jun 29, 08:59:00 PM GMT+10  
Blogger benito X said...

oh yes please professor! It looks like I have located a copy of Vol.1 so I'm looking forward to receiving, hearing (and sharing) that one too...
I have an album by Roberto Musci & Giovanni Venosta who were in the D.R. which will be a future share, though not quite as sumptuous as this one.

Sat Jul 01, 12:21:00 AM GMT+10  
Blogger benito X said...

phan-tastic!
can't wait to hear this...
Are you planning on posting these rips on your own blog or would you like me to post them here? I'd leave your links in place of course...

The words "Loa Hi Tech Corpoation" appear on the front of my Musci/Venosta LP, but the title is "Water Messages on Dessert Sand", Recommended Records UK RR-C28. First track is titled "Technowaltz" - do you think they may be the same recording?

Have you come accross any other recordings with Riccardo Sinigaglia?

Mon Jul 03, 11:52:00 PM GMT+10  
Blogger benito X said...

Professor Franz, thank you so much for all these recordings!
I will promote them in a new post as soon as I get time.
I'm still digesting all this great material...
I love "A noise, a sound", there is a sense of humour at work there!
Did you say you had already ripped Water Messages?
It would save me the trouble if you could post that one too... ;)
cheers!

Fri Jul 07, 12:28:00 PM GMT+10  
Blogger Loopy C said...

Fantastic share guys! This really helped expand my understanding of their work beyound the releases I own (which are also represented here).

Thu Jul 13, 12:14:00 PM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting music. Ricardo Sinigaglia also did some work with Italian composer/architect Piero Milesi, have you heard any of his music? It's more orchestral and ranges from minimalism to cinematic tone poems. I have Riccardo Sinigaglia's first LP and a cassette that were released on ADN. I haven't listened to them for years, was thinking of putting them on Ebay. If anyone's interested in them, let me know (email link on my web site). (I hope I'm not abusing your blog, just want to find a good home for this music...)

Sat Aug 26, 02:42:00 AM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this wondererous music - I have managed to locate and purchase a copy from France - truly a remarkable gem!!

Peter
Brisbane
Australia

Tue Aug 29, 08:06:00 PM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

lost & found !
I lost both of the doubling riders back in the 80's. I was looking for that since long, long time. Lucky me today! Thanks a lot.

@ Professor Franz: unfortunately I came too late for 'garama' and 'debris of a loa', rapidshare deleted already. Any chance to upload again?

Greetings from Saigon/Viet Nam,
the filter

(kingsizefilter.blogspot.com)

Mon Nov 13, 07:28:00 PM GMT+11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found this blog. Good to see FP & the Doubling Riders discussed. I got Vol I and II when they were released in the late 80's, still have them. Vol I is one of my favorite records of all time.
Like the previous poster says, all the rapidshare stuff is deleted. Can it be reposted?

John
NYC

Mon Nov 27, 12:47:00 PM GMT+11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting post. i came here while searching for information about piero milani's "modi".

Mon Nov 24, 07:35:00 PM GMT+11  

Post a Comment

<< Home