Tuesday, June 27, 2006

phantomband: FREEDOM OF SPEECH



Here is the second of three albums from Phantomband, formed by Can drummer Jaki Liebezeit (who also worked with Jah Wobble amongst others).
Punchy electronic rhythms (sometimes minimal) with a tongue-in-cheek quality, I do find Sheldon Ancel's laconic spoken-word vocalizations amusing, especially "Relax" (a take on relaxation tapes/new age music) & "Dangerous Conversation". This stuff fits snuggly next to Moebius & Plank in my record collection.

an amazon reviewer (whom you may or may not agree with) wrote:
"...features Helmut Zerlett who in his time, has produced some great music on the german ambient label; Recycle Or Die!...projects such as; 9 dream and Baked Beans just to name a few...are undeniably brilliant...though this project, (phantom band) i feel is targeted at the wrong audience, as people who enjoy CAN probably aren't going to get this release at all [well I do!], however if you're from the other side of the genre fence, and have an appreciation for german avant/amb electronica, then the Phantom Band is well worth checking out!"

tracklist
01 Freedom Of Speech 3:46
02 E.F. 1 4:15
03 Brain Police 4:08
04 No Questions 2:05
05 Relax 4:07
06 Gravity 5:28
07 Trapped Again 1:00
08 Experiments 3:40
09 Dream Machine 5:33
10 Dangerous Conversation 2:12
line-up: Jaki Liebezeit, Olek Gelba, Dominik von Senger, Helmut Zerlett, Sheldon Ancel
[192kbs] (hi-res cover art & label scans included as usual)

Phantomband Discography:
1980 Phantomband — LP Sky 048
1981 Phantomband - Freedom Of Speech — Sky 065
1984 Phantom Band - Nowhere — Spoon 17

I understand the first two were re-released together on one CD at some point (1994?) but only "Nowhere" appears to be currently available.
If anyone has the other two I would very much like to hear them...

11 Comments:

Blogger rich said...

There might only be three posts here but this has quickly become my new favourite blog!

Volt Age's Dig It Al(l) LP doesn't happen to be a record in your queue for posting does it?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Voltage-Dig-it-al-l-LP-minimal-wave-synth-1981_W0QQitemZ100504947034QQihZ003QQcategoryZ7780QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Oh, and try the P1/E 'Up & Above' link on my site, you may like.

Tue Jun 27, 08:55:00 PM GMT+10  
Blogger benito X said...

Sorry rich, I don't have that one...
my collection is somewhat haphazard as my tastes are all over the place!
Humour (or at least my perception of it) is a major factor over here.
Up & Above is great, thanks!
Looking forward to listening my way through more of your matter.
Have you heard this?
A different genre I know, but variety is the spice!

Tue Jun 27, 10:09:00 PM GMT+10  
Blogger benito X said...

klangbild, yes I'd like to hear Nowhere and the von senger one too!
That later Can sound is not my favourite either, all their earlier stuff is the best (I think I have it all by now...)

Sun Jul 16, 01:09:00 PM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello

i,m dominik von senger
what a big surprise this album's are still in this world
as i played guitarre on both of them (sorry my english is very bad)
thank you !!!!
i can tell you a lot about all this if you like
but first i must try to get this on your blogg
with my old mac !!!

check this out
about a film
made by a friend from tasmani
with jaki and me
and others like
damo suzuki ....

http://matt.vkool.com/

and

http://www.fuenfundvierzig.com/artist/dvonsenger/dominikvonsenger.htm

peace and love

dom

Thu Aug 10, 02:14:00 AM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

better take this link
for info

http://matt.vkool.com/stoic.html

Thu Aug 10, 02:43:00 AM GMT+10  
Blogger propylaen2001 said...

Hi!

Is there any chance to re-upload the Phantomband Nowhere album?

Many thanks in advance.

Thu May 03, 12:34:00 AM GMT+10  
Blogger benito X said...

propylaen2001, look again and there you have it!

Mon May 07, 09:56:00 AM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bennito x…After reading you favorite film is Brazil, which is also mine, finding my colleague Dominik Von Senger on your blog, I would like to add a few comments.

I am Sheldon Ancel, the voice of Phantom Band on Freedom of Speech and Nowhere. After the release Nowhere, Jaki preferred a new title Now Here.

It is pleasant to hear that finally someone has recognized the satire embedded in these two very unusual historical musical paintings.

I would suggest if you found those two relics of interest that you should hear “Radio Wave Surfer”/Holger Czukay V2651-Virgin-1991. The first 7 pieces were recorded live in 3 days in the old Can Studio. Jaki, Drums, Karroli, Guitar, and I, vocals. None of us were quite sure what instrument Holger was playing. If you happen to hear it on the recording, please let me know.

The 8th piece “Ride a Radio Wave” was recorded during a live gig in Frankfurt on my mini stereo cassette player, placed in the most perfect position on the stage.

In the last 15 years Radio Wave Surfer has traveled a hidden trail of many sub publishers but I suspect there may be copies floating or downloads available.

Sat Jul 14, 06:50:00 PM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sheldon,
It's nice to see you on the web. I play the Phantomband now and then.
Your old friend from NJ,
Mitch

Tue Dec 09, 10:47:00 AM GMT+11  
Blogger Jorenanthony (username) said...

I have just a few cuts from Nowhere; how nice it would be to get more Phantom Band (from Spoon I guess). Yes, Radio Wave Surfer is simply great (and funny) and totally live. Sheldon, I also like your work on Moving Pictures. Really brilliant. Thanks.

Sun Nov 15, 08:46:00 AM GMT+11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2010 march !!!!
the original is back
suppoert the band
its out now on cd and analog
first and second album
fantastic sound
reissued
on bureub records
analognews

Fri Mar 05, 11:33:00 PM GMT+11  

Post a Comment

<< Home