Saturday, September 09, 2006

a feast for the ears:

now a change of key:
Distant Locust - Chemical Wedding Feast



I saw Distant Locust performing some time around 1990 and the experience remains lodged in my memory despite the obfuscants clouding my mind at the time. They played dense, powerful, punchy songs driven by treated guitar and electronics, including some sort of home made hand-held synth device that can be heard throughout their material with the pervasiveness of Tommy Hall’s jug in the 13th Floor Elevators. I thought at the time that that frying sound was the inspiration for their name. This might all seem a little serious but the overwhelming result was quite amusing.
Their cover version of Donna Summers’ I Feel Love is an absolute classic in my opinion (listen LOUD).

from their website:
"Distant Locust existed from 1986 to 1996 - based in Sydney Australia - spent 1991 in Europe - signed to Contempo Records (Florence, Italy) home to such acts as Clock DVA & Christian Death - toured Italy - Netherlands - Germany - put out some records that not many people bought - were fucking brilliant - were the real band that Mr. Bowie liked (not the distant coconuts as reported in the NME) - put out two music videos (seen on ABC Australia's Rage and MTV Europe) - played with Clock DVA - Christian Death - Laibach - appeared at Big Moon Festival, Weissensee Berlin 1991 - Contemporary 91 Festival, Cascine Amphiteatro Florence Italy 1991 - toyed with Adelaide and Melbourne audiences with no avail - spent way too much time playing the Evening Star Hotel in Sydney - immortalized in Bob Blunt's brilliant tome BLUNT - A BIASED HISTORY OF AUSTRALIAN ROCK (Prowling Tiger Press 2001)".



You can download the more obscure recordings from their website and enquire about purchasing this CD there.

tracklist
01 Nursie
02 Astronaut Meets God
03 She Was Annoyed
04 Shining Lie
05 Father's Suit
06 I Feel Love
07 Love's Slow Learner
08 Placenta
09 PriestLies
10 Top of the World


get it [192kps 1991CD]

7 Comments:

Blogger Jaime Antonio Alvarez said...

Benito my friend... I need your help.
My name is The Herbalist, I am the administrator of prognotfrog.blogspot.com

In the comments to the album "Doubling Riders Vol 2" I have found two albums that I
have been looking for YEARS...
One is "Debris of Loa" by Roberto Musci (I was able to get part 1 but part 2 has been deleted by rapidshare)

The other is "Urban and Tribal Portraits" by Musci and Venosta, which was also deleted by rapidshare...

It seems I came into your blog a bit too late.

Please, could you upload both albums again?
I have a vast collection so I offer you a deal. I will upload two albums I haven't seen in the comments. One is "Metamorphosis" by Venosta and the other is "Losing the Orthodox path" by Music Venosta & Mariani. As soon as I am done uploading them to rapidshare I will let you know...
Thanking you in advance...

The Herbalist at prognotfrog.blogspot.com
(visit us!)

Mon Sep 11, 02:37:00 AM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi!

i am still searching for:

Thealonian Music - Project X Chromosome X (1982)
Thealonian Music - Syno Cat (1982)
Artificial Organs - Memento Mori (1980-81)

it would be nice to listen some day again to them!!!

best regards,
todd

Tue Sep 26, 02:34:00 PM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Musci and Venosta!

I have an album called Olympic Signals, I believe it's by them. I'll dig it out...

Sat Sep 30, 11:29:00 PM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

datei not found ?!?

Mon Feb 12, 08:39:00 AM GMT+11  
Blogger benito X said...

File Link Fixed!

Mon Feb 12, 10:41:00 AM GMT+11  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

192kbps? No Thanks

Tue Apr 10, 06:43:00 PM GMT+10  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
thanks for the great 'distant locust' review - nice to see someone noticed we had some sense of humour. I have reestablished links for the mp3 files for Chemical Wedding Feast on our web site, so it can downloaded gratis.

regards,
steven (ex-DL bassplayer)

Thu Jun 21, 07:51:00 AM GMT+10  

Post a Comment

<< Home